(My name in Vietnamese: Từ Nguyễn Thái Sơn, people call me Tyson (Thai-Son).)
I am a Ph.D. student at the University of Wisconsin - Madison under the guidance of Professor Hung V. Tran. My dissertation is about Partial Differential Equations, particularly questions related to Hamilton-Jacobi equations.
I am interested in applied probability, statistics, machine learning and in using these skill sets to solve real world problems.
- My paper with Yuxi Han has been accepted to Applied Mathematics & Optimization.
- My paper has been accepted to Journal of Differential Equations.
- The Anki deck I created in 2013 to learn TOEFL has been downloaded 20965 times! (updated Jan 10, 2022)
- I was invited to give a talk at the Applied Math seminar, UNCC on Sep 24, 2021.
- I am recently awarded the GSSC Fellowship and I am an instructor for Math 112 (College algebra - Summer 2021).
- I have been awarded the Excellent in Research Award by the Mathematics Department, UW-Madison (2021).
- I have been awarded the Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award by the Mathematics Department, UW-Madison (2020).
Publications and preprints
- (with Yuxi Han) Remarks on the vanishing viscosity process of state-constraint Hamilton-Jacobi equations arXiv preprint (2021), to appear in Applied Mathematics & Optimization.
- Vanishing discount problems for Hamilton-Jacobi equations on changing domains, arXiv preprint (2020), Journal of Differential Equations.
- (with Yeoneung Kim and Hung V. Tran) State-constraint static Hamilton-Jacobi equations in nested domains, arXiv preprint (2019), SIAM journal on Mathematical Analysis.
- Rate of convergence for periodic homogenization of convex Hamilton-Jacobi equations in one dimension, arXiv preprint (2018), Asymptotic Analysis.
In May 18-21, 2020, my advisor and I will organize a workshop in PDE, see madpde2020 (postponed due to Covid).
Department of Mathematics
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Madison, WI 53706.
Office: 822 Van Vleck Hall, 480 Lincoln Drive.
Welcome to Son’s website, visitor numbered