To Do List For John Heim
Revised: Monday, March 16, 2020
One Time To Dos
Note: Items are in no particular order. Ordering does not imply priority.
- Document non-standard things in our infrastructure, especially FAI.
- Upgrade servers alpha, bravo, abel, bing, descartes, euclid, fermat, hilbert, pascal, and turing to Ubuntu LTS 20.04.
- Upgrade FAI to install ubuntu 20.04 (focal).
- Configure test machine to authenticate vs campus AD and use samba for name services.
- Check on Travel web app. Possibly move into production.
- Try to get wake-on-lan to work for office Linux workstations.
- Get started planning to get rid of VMware.
- Open source project: Fix capitalization bug in espeak-ng. Espeak-ng does not honor capitalization settings in orca so if you configure orca to indicate caps with a change in pitch and cursor over a capital letter Q, for example, it says "capital Q" instead of changing pitch.
- Open source project: Test Visual Studio Code for Linux.
- Open source project: Help developers of Bertini, Gap, PHC create debian packages for their software.
Ongoing To Dos
Note: Things that have to be done periodically.
- Upgrade (if necessary) Bertini, Gap, Magma, Maple, Mathematica, Matlab, and Sage.
- Check/clean-up backups.
- Check/clean-up nagios. Look for bogus alerts. Fix problems indicated by legitimate alerts.
- Check/clean-up network monitoring script, vv-network. This script checks consistency of DNS & DHCP config files and tries to determine if the hosts configured are on-line.
Items from above list are moved here as they are completed.
- 2020-03-03: Check for Linux workstations that have not been updated to Uvuntu 19.10 (eoan).
- 2020-02-19: Check/clean-up nagios. Look for bogus alerts. Fix problems indicated by legitimate alerts.
- 2020-02-17: Configure bravo as a replica mysql server.
- 2020-02-06: Upgrade Bertini, Gap, Magma, Maple, Mathematica, Matlab, and Sage.
- 2020-01-27: Upgrade FAI to install Ubuntu 19.10 (eoan).
- 2019-12-23: Upgrade/swap alpha & bravo)
Copyright 2022, The Board Of Regents Of The University Of Wisconsin